RV Cirolana CIR3/74
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1974-03-21 — 1974-04-17|
|Port of departure||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out an acoustic survey of blue whiting in the area Porcupine Bank to St Kilda, including Rockall.
2. To compare results for about a day on the same course in a small area with RVGO SARS and RV SCOTIA.
3. To collect material on age and length of blue whiting, maturation and fecundity.
4. To fish intensively for blue whiting for a period of 3 to 4 days.
5. To use the Continuous Plankton Recorder and Longhurst Hardy Plankton Recorder (LHPR) where possible.
6. To work with the MT ST BENEDICT on catching blue whiting.
|Chief scientist||David H Cushing (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.45 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Quantity: track kilometres = 5930|
Description: T only
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: activity duration in days = 21|
Description: 2400nm longhurst-hardy plankton recorder
|Zooplankton||Quantity: activity duration in days = 21|
Description: longhurst-hardy plankton recorder
|Eggs and larvae||Quantity: activity duration in days = 21|
Description: longhurst-hardy plankton recorder population structures
|Acoustic reflection on marine organisms.||Quantity: track kilometres = 6482|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Quantity: track kilometres = 6482|
Description: deep scattering layers
|Occasional standard measurements|