RV Prince Madog PD27/09
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Prince Madog (74P2)|
|Cruise period||2009-07-07 — 2009-07-10|
|Port of departure||Menai Bridge, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Holyhead, United Kingdom|
1. 50 hour time series of microstructure measurements using the VMP profiler next to mooring site in the seasonally stratified part of the Western Irish Sea.
2. CTD profiles and water samples for chemical analysis.
3. Retrieval of ADCP and thermistor moorings
4. Download of moored instrument data and instrument servicing
5. Redeployment of ADCP and thermistor moorings
Fine weather allowed operations to run to plan with no problems during retrieval and deployment of moorings.
Two issues with the mooring instruments caused loss of data:
1. 300KHz ADCP lost compass calibration causing the instrument to stop recording after 9 days.
2. Met buoy weather station problems caused loss of all meteorological data over entire moored period. This problem could not be solved during the mooring turnaround so met data is still not being collected.
Two issues relating to chemical water samples being taken from the CTD:
1. The Scientific fridge was being used for food storage, with samples knocked over and potentially destroyed by the cook.
2. Food waste was being disposed of over the side of the ship, potentially leading to contamination of samples.
The ADCP from the ship recorded data that was sensitive to the movement of the ship, so despite removing the bottom track much of the velocity data during the 50 hour station was unreliable.
|Chief scientist||Tom Rippeth (Bangor University School of Ocean Sciences)|
|Cruise report||(0.02 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
|Specific||Western Irish Sea|