RV Corystes CO 08/06
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise identifier||CO 08/06|
|Cruise period||2006-02-19 — 2006-02-28|
|Port of departure||Belfast, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Belfast, United Kingdom|
1. To conduct a plankton survey using a Gulf VII plankton sampler to determine the distribution and abundance of cod (Gadus morhua), haddock (Melanogrammus aeglifinus) and plaice (Pleuronectes platessa) eggs.
2. To remove fish eggs from fresh plankton samples at sea. To measure, stage and preserve these eggs in ethanol prior to species identification using a DNA technique on return to the laboratory.
3. To collect a surface nutrient and chlorophyll sample at each of the sampling stations.
4. To collect supplementary sub-surface environmental data using a self-logging package carried on the Gulf VII plankton samplers.
5. To collect surface salinity samples at every third station for calibration of the CTDs.
6. To collect surface phytoplankton sample at every third station for phytoplankton species identification.
|Chief scientist||Steven Beggs (Department of Agriculture and Rural Development for Northern Ireland)|
|Cruise report||(0.53 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
|Specific||Northern Irish Sea|