RRS Challenger CH12/76
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1976-08-04 — 1976-08-15|
|Port of departure||Greenock, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Liverpool, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||The objectives of this cruise were:
(1) Re-lay the current meter mooring at 57N, 9W. Accomplished.
(2) Work the Rockall via Anton Dohrn Seamount (Ellett Line) STD section. Accomplished.
(3) Lay three IOS deep moorings in the NW sector of the Rockall Channel. Two successfully laid, but one lost due to a deployment accident.
(4) Batfish temperature and salinity survey in the vicinity of the Anton Dohrn Seamount, Rockall, Lousy Bank, Rosemary Bank area. Accomplished.
(5) Lay and recover additional short-term shelf-edge current meter moorings. Accomplished.
(6) Collect large-volume surface water samples on the Scottish shelf for radiocaesium analysis. Accomplished with STD profiles on all but two stations.
|Chief scientist||David J Ellett (Scottish Marine Biological Association)|
|Cruise report||(0.53 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Quantity: number of measurements = 57|
Description: 24 T surface 33 S surface
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 28|
|Subsurface temperature and salinity measurements||Quantity: number of deployments = 26|
Description: (batfish,26 tows)
|Current meters||Quantity: number of stations = 3|
Description: 7x7,5 days
|Isotopes||Quantity: number of stations = 10|
Description: water samples for radio-caesium analysis.
|Routine standard measurements||Description: (syn.hours)|
|Geology and geophysics|