RV Celtic Voyager CV13030
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Celtic Voyager (45CV)|
|Cruise period||2013-09-26 — 2013-10-01|
|Port of departure||Londonderry, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Londonderry, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||Palaeoenvironments and sediment distribution west of Ireland University of Ulster marine survey.
1. To repeat survey selected areas of the JIBS and INSS data sets with MBES for evidence of bathymetric change.
2. To relate any change in bathymetry to previous surveys, allowing assessment of sediment transport in the areas.
3. To ground truth MBES data using sediment grabs to aid classification of backscatter data. This will also supplement the low-resolution ground truth data in the area.
4. Biology included in sediment samples will also be collected and preserved for identification at a later date. It is intended that these specimens along with MBES and sediment samples will feed into another PhD project at University of Ulster and may also be incorporated into undergraduate level teaching.
5. To provide experience for undergraduate students aboard, increasing their knowledge of sea going operations and survey methods.
|Chief scientist||William Evans (University of Ulster School of Environmental Sciences)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Specific||Lough Foyle. Lough Swilly.|