FRV Scotia 0815S
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (748S)|
|Cruise period||2015-06-25 — 2015-07-14|
|Port of departure||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
1. To conduct an acoustic survey to estimate the abundance and distribution of herring in the north western North Sea and north of Scotland between 58°30'-62°N and from 4°W to 2°E.
2. To obtain biological samples for echosounder trace identification using a pelagic trawl.
3. To test feasibility of using GoPro cameras mounted in the net and on a dropframe to further aid in species identification in the echogram scrutiny process.
4. To obtain samples of herring for biological analysis, including age, length, weight, sex, maturity and ichthyophonus infection.
5. To obtain hydrographic data for comparison with the horizontal and vertical distribution of herring.
6. To obtain acoustic recordings of cetaceans during the survey using a towed hydrophone system.
|Chief scientist||Susan M Lusseau (Marine Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.09 MB)|
|General||Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||Orkney and Shetland|
|Track charts||(0.10 MB)|