This survey represents the fourth dedicated research survey for boarfish in the time series. The commercial fishing vessel MFV Felucca was used for the third time and was equipped with a calibrated scientific echosounder (Simrad EK 60) and transducer within a towed body. Data from this survey will be presented to the ICES assessment Working Group for Widely Distributed Stocks (WGWIDE) meeting in August 2014 and as part of the ICES Planning Group meeting for International Pelagic Surveys (WGIPS) meeting in January 2015 (WGIPS).
- Collect integrated and calibrated acoustic data on boarfish (Capros aper) aggregations within the pre-determined survey area.
- Determine the biomass and abundance of boarfish within the survey area.
- Collect biological samples from directed trawling on insonified echotraces to determine age structure and maturity state of survey stock as well as to identify echotrace to species.
- Determine the extent and behaviour of boarfish aggregations within the survey area to aid the design of future surveys.
- Dovetail with the RV Celtic Explorer in the northern area to ensure close spatiotemporal alignment and synoptic coverage.
Ciaran O'Donnell (Marine Institute Galway), Cormac Nolan (Marine Institute Galway)
International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES)