FRV Scotia 1415S
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (748S)|
|Cruise period||2015-10-05 — 2015-10-16|
|Port of departure||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
1. To estimate mackerel density and abundance in the area of the Shetland Isles.
2. To investigate the use of a broadband system as a means to determine mackerel size.
3. To study distribution of cetaceans and their relationship to mackerel shoals.
1. Calibration of Edgetech Broadband system.
2. Calibrate Sv and TS gains on the Simrad EK60.
3. Obtain acoustic data from mackerel using the Edgetech broadband system.
4. Obtain biological samples of mackerel from schools by trawling.
5. Trial deployment options for the Edgetech broadband system.
6. Obtain acoustic data from mackerel using the Simrad WBAT autonomous broadband system.
7. Compare the echo returns from a low cost portable sounder system with those from the calibrated Simrad EK60 echo-sounder system.
8. Deploy a lightweight AU Go-Pro camera system into the mackerel schools to observe behaviour.
9. Deploy MSS Go-Pro system on PT160 net
10. Deploy MSS Go-Pro lander system onto the seabed to identify fish traces on un-trawlable ground.
11. Visually observe marine mammal distribution and activity during daylight hours.
12. Obtain towed hydrophone acoustic recordings of mammal vocalisation during survey transects.
13. Compare netsonde traces of mackerel in the net with those seen using the cable less Scanmar trawl eye system.
|Chief scientist||Philip J Copland (Marine Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.10 MB)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Track charts||(0.08 MB)|
|Data held at BODC||Get data|
|6 CTD frame plus rosette sampler|