RRS Challenger CH17/77
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1977-11-05 — 1977-11-12|
|Port of departure||Ardrossan, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Ardrossan, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To retreive the SMBA shelf current meter mooring in 57N, 9W. Not possible due to bad weather.
2. To work the Anton Dohrn Seamount CTD section, and additional sections between Rockall Bank and the Hebridean shelf as time permitted. Not possible.
3. To make observations of droplet concentrations and sizes in sea spray with Professor Ling's equipment.
4. To work CTD sections on the shelf to the west of the Hebrides. Not possible.
5. To obtain Shipek grab bottom samples for the Department of Geology, UCW, Aberystwyth. No samples were obtained.
6. To test acoustic command releases at their future operating depths. Impossible due to bad weather.
7. To collect 50 litre surface water samples at standard positions on the Scottish shelf for radiocaesium determination by the Fisheries Radiobiological Laboratory, Lowestoft.
|Chief scientist||David J Ellett (Scottish Marine Biological Association)|
|Cruise report||(0.11 MB)|
|General||Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 10|
Description: S surface only
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 10|
Description: 50 litre water samples collected for radio-caesium determination