RV Cirolana CIR4/77
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1977-04-06 — 1977-04-27|
|Port of departure||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a mackerel egg and larval survey in the Celtic Sea -
Porcupine Bank area.
2. To study the vertical distribution of mackerel eggs and larvae.
3. To study the development rates of mackerel eggs and larvae.
4. To identify fish concentrations by trawling.
5. To measure temperature, salinity and chlorophyll levels at each station using the environmental monitoring system.
6. To carry out in situ target strength measurements on blue whiting where suitable concentrations are found.
7. To catch and biologically sample blue whiting.
8. To collect fish samples for mercury content analyses.
9. To collect material from as wide a range of species as possible for
histological muscle fibre analysis.
10. To collect and deep freeze spleens from blue whiting/mackerel for
the Institute of Cancer Research.
|Chief scientist||P O Johnson (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Project||Mackerel Egg and Larval Survey|
|Cruise report||(0.29 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
Bay of Biscay
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Quantity: track kilometres = 2778|
Description: T only
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 74|
Description: surface only
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)||Quantity: number of stations = 74|
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: number of stations = 74|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of stations = 74|
|Eggs and larvae||Quantity: number of stations = 74|
Description: 1300nm distribution,physiology
|Acoustic reflection on marine organisms.||Quantity: track kilometres = 4444.8|