RRS Discovery D88
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Discovery (74E3)|
|Cruise period||1977-10-23 — 1977-11-16|
|Port of departure||Gibraltar, Gibraltar|
|Port of return||Barry, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. The collection of sediment samples, by conventional gravity coring and by box coring, for studies of the geochemistry and the meiofaunal content of recent sediments.
2. The collection of samples of suspended particulate material from large volume bottles for geochemical studies.
3. The collection and analysis of water samples of the abundance of dissolved selenium.
4. The collection of aerosol samples by conventional mesh sampling and by membrane filtration.
5. Replicate sampling of sediment pore water by in situ samples and shipboard squeezed box-core samples for comparison of experimental techniques of pore-water sampling.
6. The occupation of a series of in situ pore water sampler stations in the various sedimentary environments within the cruise area of work.
7. Extensive biological sampling near the mouth of the Porcupine Sea Bight, including benthic samples from an epibenthic sledge and semi-balloon otter-trawl, and mid-water samples from all horizons between the bottom and the surface using the combination net.
8. To test a new acoustically operated "pop-up" fish trap.
1. The collection of large volume water samples for studies of the distribution of the lantharides (Leeds University).
2. The collection of water samples for the analysis of the abundance of dissolved iodine (Institute of Hydrology).
3. The collection of benthic organisms for studies of the distribution and organic associations of trace metals (IOS).
4. Trials of magnesium/nickel corrodable links using the fish trap.
|Chief scientist||Anthony L Rice (Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Wormley Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.61 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
Strait of Gibraltar (Mediterranean Sea)
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 7|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 2|
|Oxygen||Quantity: number of stations = 7|
|Phosphate||Quantity: number of stations = 7|
|Silicate||Quantity: number of stations = 7|
|Trace elements||Quantity: number of stations = 7|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Zoobenthos||Quantity: number of samples = 2|
Description: survey: taxonomy, energy transfers etc.
|Birds||Quantity: number of observations = 180|
|Exploratory fishing||Quantity: number of hauls = 1|
Description: fish trap with time-lapse camera system
|Routine standard measurements||Description: continuous 2-min.samples|
|Other meteorological measurements||Description: sea and swell|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of cores = 20|
Description: chemical analysis
|Single-beam echosounding||Quantity: track kilometres = 2963|
|Other geological/geophysical measurements||Quantity: number of samples = 13|
Description: pure water sampling