FRV Scotia 0918S
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (748S)|
|Cruise period||2018-06-28 — 2018-07-20|
|Port of departure||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Scrabster, United Kingdom|
1. To conduct an acoustic survey to estimate the abundance and distribution of herring in the north western North Sea and north of Scotland between 58 30 and 62 00 N and from the shelf edge to 02 E, excluding Faroese waters.
2. To obtain biological samples by trawling with pelagic and demersal trawl for echosounder trace identification.
3. To obtain samples of herring and sprat for biological analysis, including age, length, weight, sex, maturity and ichthyophonus infection throughout the survey area.
4. Collect samples and data for stock identity determination for herring caught west of 04 W (photos and otoliths for morphometric stock ID analysis and tissue samples for genetic analysis).
5. To test feasibility of using GoPro cameras mounted in the net and on a dropframe to further aid in species identification in the echogram scrutiny process.
6. To obtain hydrographic data for comparison with the horizontal and vertical distribution of herring and sprat.
|Chief scientist||S O'Connell (Marine Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory), Susan M Lusseau (Marine Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.09 MB)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||North and west of Scotland|