FRV Alba Na Mara 1718A
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Alba Na Mara (74NM)|
|Cruise period||2018-10-26 — 2018-11-05|
|Port of departure||Greenock, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Campbeltown, United Kingdom|
1. To conduct an acoustic survey designed to survey both the open and enclosed areas of the Clyde to ultimately provide an estimate of age disaggregated abundance and distribution of herring and sprat.
2. To obtain samples of herring and sprat for biological analysis, including age, length, weight, sex, maturity and ichthyophonus infection.
3. All other species caught will be measured for length and weight to establish a length weight relationship.
4. CTD profiles will be taken at the end of each trawl.
5. Tissue samples will be collected for genetic stock identification study
Fishing gear and scientific equipment will be transported to Greenock on 23 October and loaded onto the vessel. Scientific staff join the vessel in Greenock on 25 October. The vessel will commence the survey on 26 Oct at the earliest opportunity after all drills have been completed.
The survey will be carried out within an area bounded by approx. 55°N to 56°N and 04° 40' W to 05° 40' W. Echo integration will be carried out at 38, 120 and 200 kHz. Data gathered in the hours of darkness will not be used for stock assessment. Trawling operations will be carried out as and when marks are identified. Otoliths will be collected from a sub-sample of the herring and sprat to determine age. The maturity stage and presence of Icthyophonus infection will also be recorded. A CTD profile will be taken at the end of each trawl and TSG data will be gathered throughout the survey.
|Chief scientist||S O'Connell (Marine Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory), Susan M Lusseau (Marine Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.27 MB)|
|General||Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland|
|Specific||Firth of Clyde|