FRV Alba Na Mara 0219A
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Alba Na Mara (74NM)|
|Cruise period||2019-01-24 — 2019-02-06|
|Port of departure||Fraserburgh, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Fraserburgh, United Kingdom|
1. To carry out a survey of scallop stocks around the Shetland Islands.
2. To age, measure and assess shell damage on all scallops caught.
3. To collect information on by-catch of other commercial fish and shellfish species.
4. To identify, quantify numbers, and damage assess of starfish species in all dredge tows.
5. To undertake underwater filming of dredges using a Go-pro camera.
The survey will depart Fraserburgh on 24 January and, after vessel drills, make passage for Shetland.
Scallop dredge hauls will be made at sites used on previous surveys as shown Figure 1. Hauls will be of 30 minutes duration. From each haul, all of the scallops will be measured to the half centimeter below and aged. Numbers and size distribution of commercial fish and shellfish species will be recorded along with scallop shell damage and starfish numbers and species. Filming the gear fishing will be undertaken on selected tows to show gear efficiency.
The survey will end in Fraserburgh on 6 February, when all equipment and staff will return to the laboratory.
|Chief scientist||Peter Gibson (Marine Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.05 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|