FRV Scotia 0919S
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (748S)|
|Cruise period||2019-06-27 — 2019-07-19|
|Port of departure||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
To conduct an acoustic survey to estimate the abundance and distribution of herring in the north western North Sea and north of Scotland between 58°30'-62°N and from the shelf edge to 2°E, excluding Faroese waters.
- To obtain biological samples by trawling with pelagic and demersal trawl for echosounder trace identification.
- To obtain samples of herring and sprat for biological analysis, including age, length, weight, sex, maturity and ichthyophonus infection throughout the survey area.
- Collect samples and data for stock identity determination of herring. Photos and otoliths for morphometric stock ID analysis for herring caught west of 4 °W; tissue samples for genetic analysis from herring throughout the survey area.
- Use GoPro cameras mounted in the net and on a drop frame to further aid in species identification in the echogram scrutiny process.
- To obtain hydrographic data for comparison with the horizontal and vertical distribution of herring and sprat.
- Obtain dissolved oxygen vertical water column profiles for comparison with occurrence of prominent 38kHz scattering layer as part of Aberdeen University Hons student project.
- Collect near-seabed dissolved oxygen measurements for MSS monitoring programme.
|Chief scientist||S O'Connell (Marine Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory), Susan M Lusseau (Marine Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.15 MB)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||Northwestern North Sea and north of Scotland|