FRV Alba Na Mara 0320A
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Alba Na Mara (74NM)|
|Cruise period||2020-02-10 — 2020-02-16|
|Port of departure||Fraserburgh, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Fraserburgh, United Kingdom|
1. To carry out dredge comparison trials (standard commercial gear versus N-viro dredge) in the Moray Firth.
2. To age, measure and assess shell damage on all scallops caught per dredge.
3. To collect information on by-catch of other commercial fish and shellfish species per dredge.
4. To quantify and record the number of stones each dredge catches
5. To identify, quantify numbers, and damage assess of starfish species in each dredge
6. To film each type of dredge while fishing.
The survey will depart Fraserburgh on 10 February and, after vessel drills, make passage for the first station in the Moray Firth. Scallop hauls will be made at a selection of stations used on previous surveys with a variety of ground types being considered. Hauls will be of 30 minutes duration with the gear rigged with 6 dredges aside, each side with a set-up of ABABAB (A = N-virodredge, B = Commercial dredge). Dredges will be photographed once on board and before emptying. Each dredge's contents will be worked up individually.
All of the scallops will be measured to the half centimeter below and aged. Numbers and size distribution of commercial fish and shellfish species will be recorded, along with scallop shell damage and starfish numbers and species. The stones/rocks/boulders shall be photographed and quantified. A Go-pro camera shall be used on one bar and footage shall be obtained of both types of dredges whilst fishing. The survey will end in Fraserburgh on 16 February.
|Chief scientist||John Turriff (Marine Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.23 MB)|