RV Cefas Endeavour 11/20
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cefas Endeavour (74E9)|
|Cruise period||2020-07-13 — 2020-07-25|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
1. To undertake a beam trawl survey in the southern North Sea and eastern Channel as part of an ICES co-ordinated research programme.
2. To obtain fisheries independent data on the distribution and abundance of commercial flatfish species.
3. To collect biological data, including maturity and weight at age of commercial species, to satisfy the requirements of the EU data regulations.
4. To identify the epibenthos by-catch taken in the 4-metre beam trawl and to quantify 14 species as agreed at the Beam Trawl Working Group.
5. To collect full depth, conductivity, temperature and depth profiles at each trawl station alongside surface and near-bottom water samples using a Niskin with ESM2 logger.
6. To continuously log sub-surface (3m) salinity, temperature, fluorometry and other environmental data using the 'Ferrybox'.
7. To sample litter by-catch caught in the beam trawl at every station.
8. Collection of one plankton sample 500m from the West Gabbard Smart buoy.
9. The collection & preparation of water samples for chlorophyll determination.
10. To tag and release specimens of various commercially exploited skates (Rajidae) and other selected elasmobranches.
11. Collect specimens of selected species for ID purposes as well as length-weight measurements where still required.
12. To collect samples of benthos from selected sites on the survey grid to investigate toxin concentrations – (Andrew Turner, Cefas Weymouth).
13. To collect biological samples from Greater weaver, Trachinus draco (Samantha Barnett, Cefas Lowestoft).
14. To carry out full biological sampling on common cuttlefish, Sepia officinalis.
15. To carry out biological sampling, collect scales and photograph gonads of all black seabream Spondyliosoma cantharus collected.
Narrative in attached cruise report.
|Chief scientist||Joanne Smith (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.26 MB)|
|Cruise report||(0.92 MB)|
|Specific||Southern North Sea and Eastern English Channel|