RV Cefas Endeavour 15/20
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cefas Endeavour (74E9)|
|Cruise period||2020-09-05 — 2020-09-29|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||Beam Trawl Survey Aims
1. To carry out a 4m beam-trawl survey of groundfish to
i) obtain fisheries independent data on the distribution and abundance of commercial flatfish species
ii) derive age compositions of sole, plaice, cod and whiting for use in stock assessments.
2. To collect biological data including maturity and weight at age of sole, plaice, lemon sole and other commercially important finfish species as part of CEFAS' requirements under the EU Data Collection Framework.
3. To determine the distribution and relative abundance of juvenile and adult sole and plaice.
4. To collect surface & bottom temperature/salinity data using CTD and Niskin Bottle.
5. To quantify epibenthos and using 4m beam trawl by-catch.
6. Collect length/weight & maturity information using individual fish measurements, in support of the EU Data Collection Framework.
7. To collect surface sea-water samples for processing on return to Lowestoft for the analysis of tritium and caesium.
8. To collect fish samples in support of Cefas and non-Cefas projects and training courses.
9. Retain any dead specimens of diadromous fish for the DiadES Interreg project.
10. Collect chlorophyll samples to test for nutrients from the surface water for the ASMIAC project.
11. Collect plankton sample at the Gabbard smart buoy site.
1. To collect samples of demersal fish for chemical analysis from the Irish Sea, Celtic Sea and Western English Channel in support of the Clean Seas Environmental Monitoring Programme (CSEMP) (OSPAR Common indicator and UK specific Indicator (assessments).
2. To collect fish samples at CSEMP sites for fish disease biochemical markers (e.g. EROD and bile metabolites analysis and AChE) (UK specific Indicator Assessments).
3. To sample representative CSEMP stations using day grab, for polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), trace metal contaminants, organic contaminants (PCBs, PBDEs and HBCD), sediment particle size analysis (PSA) and marine litter (OSPAR Common indicator and UK specific Indicator assessments).
4. To conduct marine litter surveys (OSPAR Common indicator and UK specific Indicator assessments) by collecting benthic litter information from the trawls and collecting sediment samples for litter analysis.
5. To conduct surveys of marine animals (birds and cetaceans) and as part of the Sea Watch programme.
6. To collect water conductivity, temperature and depth information, and Plankton community information to provide additional knowledge on Eutrophication levels (OSPAR Common indicator and UK specific Indicator assessments).
7. To collect additional fish for the EA and NRW for a comparison study of whole fish, and fish muscle and liver in the quantity of contaminants). EA require 9 fish from stations 534, 584, 706, 715, 769, 796 and Liverpool Bay trend. NRW require up to 9 Dab from Welsh stations 616, 649, 654 and 776.
Dogger Bank Aims
1. To collect samples of Scallops to ascertain their spawning condition on the Dogger bank. Samples will be collected using 8 dredges (4 a side) at 14 sites, with repeat tows if fewer than 10 individuals are caught.
|Chief scientist||Stephen Shaw (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.23 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|