RRS Challenger CH6/78
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1978-04-11 — 1978-04-21|
|Port of departure||Barry, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Mallaig, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||The objectives of this cruise were:
(1) Service the current meter mooring at 57N, 9W. Accomplished.
(2) Lay a deep mooring between the Anton Dohrn Seamount and the continental shelf. Accomplished.
(3) Work the Rockall via Anton Dohrn Seamount (Ellett Line) CTD section. Accomplished.
(4) Moor a set off test panels off South Uist for fouling studies. Accomplished.
(5) Work CTD sections on the shelf to the west of the Hebrides. Three E-W sections between Barra Head and St. Kilda together with stations off the west coasts of Barra and South Uist. A section between Loch Boisdal and Loch Moidart was also worked.
(6) Collect large-volume surface water samples on the Scottish shelf for radiocaesium analysis. Accomplished together with CTD casts on all but one station.
(7) Obtain an epibenthic sled sample of the macrobenthos at 54° 40 min N, 12° 16 min W (SMBA permanent station). Accomplished.
(8) Test the Mk II box corer at abyssal depths by collecting cores at the epibenthic sled station (2900m depth). Failed due to samples being washed away during recovery.
(9) Obtain benthic megafauna samples using an Agassiz trawl. Accomplished with hauls on the permanent station between the Anton Dohrn Seamount and the Hebridean slope.
(10) Obtain samples of deep plankton at the SMBA permanent station using a small rectangular mid-water trawl. Accomplished.
(11) Obtain further samples on a partially-completed box-coring transect across the Hebridean slope. Not attempted due to time constraints.
|Chief scientist||David J Ellett (Scottish Marine Biological Association)|
|Cruise report||(0.29 MB)|
|General||Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 69|
Description: S surface only
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 71|
|Current meters||Quantity: number of stations = 1|
Description: 2x73 days position 57N;9W
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 10|
Description: water samples for radio-caesium analysis
|Biology and fisheries|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of hauls = 1|
Description: single deep haul using combined RMT-7 and RMT-1 pelagic nets.
|Zoobenthos||Quantity: number of hauls = 3|
Description: taxonomy,population studies
|Gear research||Quantity: number of deployments = 2|
Description: trials of the mk II box corer.