RRS Challenger CH7/78
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1978-04-24 — 1978-05-09|
|Port of departure||Mallaig, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Barry, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To sample the demersal fish populations on the SMBA seasonal transect on the Hebridean Terrace using the large Granton trawl and the single warp trawl.
2. To compare the catch rates of the large Granton trawl and the single warp trawl on the upper slope.
3. To use the single warp trawl at 3000m close to the SMBA seasonal station.
4. To sample the upper slope on the IOS transect in the Porcupine Bight with the large bottom trawl and to occupy deeper stations with the single warp trawl.
5. To study biochemistry of the lipid foam in the swimbladders of deep-sea macrourid fish.
6. To obtain bacteriological samples from the intestines of deep-sea fish.
7. To obtain samples of fish for a histological study of the melano-macrophage centres of teleosts.
8. To collect further material for a study of the dermatology of teleosts.
9. To collect deep frozen squid for Dr Clarke M.B.A and Dr. Early, Torry Research Laboratories, Aberdeen.
10. To test a new 12-core adaptation of the previously 4-core multiple corer.
11. To take multiple core samples at the SMBA 158m Shelf Station, the SMBA 3000m seasonal station in the Rockall Trough, the SMBA 5000m station on the Porcupine Abyssal Plain (not achieved due to lost ship time), and the IOS Porcupine Seabight stations at 2000m and 4000m.
12. To take multiple core samples at these stations for studies by Dr. Patching of the sediment total biomass (by ATP determination), the sediment bacterial biomass (by muriamic acid determination) and the concentrations of ammonia and other inorganic nutrients in sediments and overlying water.
13. To release drift bottles for the Department of Oceanography, Galway.
|Chief scientist||John D M Gordon (Scottish Marine Biological Association)|
|Cruise report||(0.33 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Benthic bacteria/micro-organisms||Quantity: number of stations = 7|
Description: biological cores
|Zoobenthos||Quantity: number of hauls = 14|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 14|
Description: survey: taxonomy, energy transfers, biomass transfers etc.
|Exploratory fishing||Quantity: number of hauls = 14|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Quantity: number of deployments = 7|
Description: bottom photographs