RRS Challenger CH9/78
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1978-05-31 — 1978-06-10|
|Port of departure||Barry, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Liverpool, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||The objectives of this cruise were:
(1) To service the current meter moorings at 57N, 9W and 57.5N, 12.25W. Accomplished.
(2) Work the Rockall via Anton Dohrn Seamount (Ellett Line) CTD section. Accomplished.
(3) To work CTD sections on the Scottish Shelf and in the Sea of the Hebrides. Two sections perpendicular to the shelf edge west of Benbecula and North/South Uist were worked together with an array of 18 CTD stations in the Sea of the Hebrides.
(4) Collect large-volume surface water samples on the Scottish shelf for radiocaesium analysis. Accomplished with CTD profiles on 5 of the 10 stations.
(5) Obtain an epibenthic sled sample of the macrobenthos at 54° 40 min N, 12° 16 min W (SMBA permanent station). Accomplished.
(6) Test the Mk II box corer at abyssal depths by collecting cores at the epibenthic sled station (2900m depth). Partially successful with one good sample from two attempts. Two attempts with a Reineck box corer (to obtain samples for comparison with the Mk II) were also unsuccessful.
(7) Obtain benthic megafauna samples using an Agassiz trawl. Accomplished.
(8) Obtain samples of deep plankton at the SMBA permanent station using a small rectangular mid-water trawl. Accomplished.
|Chief scientist||David J Ellett (Scottish Marine Biological Association)|
|Cruise report||(0.27 MB)|
|General||Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 69|
Description: S surface only
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 58|
|Current meters||Quantity: number of stations = 2|
Description: 4x120 days & 2x50 days
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 10|
Description: water samples for radio-caesium analysis.
|Biology and fisheries|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of hauls = 1|
Description: single deep haul of made with the RMT 1 pelagic net.
|Zoobenthos||Quantity: number of hauls = 3|
Description: survey:taxonomy,population studies
|Gear research||Quantity: number of deployments = 1|
Description: test lowering of the Mk II m2 box corer.