RRS Challenger CH14B/78
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1978-11-04 — 1978-11-11|
|Port of departure||Dunstaffnage, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||South Shields, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||The objectives of this cruise were:
(1) To service the shelf current meter mooring at 57N, 9W. Accomplished.
(2) To recover the deep water mooring from 57° 18 min N, 10° 23 min W. Accomplished.
(3) To work the Rockall via Anton Dohrn Seamount (Ellett Line) STD section. Western portion of the section (station J to station R) profiled.
(4) To collect large-volume surface seawater samples across the Scottish continental shelf. Accomplished with STD profiles on all but one station.
(5) To work an STD section from the SMBA permanent benthos station (54° 40 min N, 12 deg, 16 min W) to the continental shelf. Not accomplished.
(6) Obtain an ebibethtic sled sample of benthic macrofauna at the SMBA permanent benthos station. Not accomplished.
(7) Obtain sediment box cores at the SMBA permanent benthos station. Not accomplished.
(8) Obtain near-surface and deep plankton hauls with the rectangular mid-water trawl at the SMBA permanent benthos station. Not accomplished.
(9) Obtain Assagiz trawl hauls between the Anton Dohrn Seamount and the St. Kilda continental slope. Not accomplished.
|Chief scientist||David J Ellett (Scottish Marine Biological Association)|
|Cruise report||(0.15 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 26|
Description: S surface only
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 17|
|Current meters||Quantity: number of stations = 2|
Description: 2x88 days & 4x115 days
|Radioactivity||Description: surface water samples for radio-caesium analysis.|