RV Cirolana CIR6/78
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1978-06-22 — 1978-07-25|
|Port of departure||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To recover and relay the NEADS-6 upper-bottom c/m mooring at 52 degrees 30' north 17 degrees 45' west, deployed during CIROLANA 11/77.
2. To recover the three upper bottom c/m moorings deployed in the Gibbs Fracture Zone during CIROLANA 11/77.
3. To lay an east-west network of upper bottom c/m moorings north east of the Azores between the mid-Atlantic Ridge and the NEADS-4 site at 41 degrees north 25 degrees west.
4. To test the MK II neutrally buoyant float tracking system at the above site.
5. To make XBT observations every 15-20 miles on passage with emphasis on the mid-Atlantic Ridge crestline and the continental slope of the eastern North Atlantic.
6. To conduct standard hydro sections and take oxygen and silicate samples in selected areas of the eastern Atlantic.
7. To test the deep-submergence scintillation counter.
8. To service the moorings at Spurn, Jonsis 1 and 2, Tyne and Tees.
|Chief scientist||Robert R Dickson (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.47 MB)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Description: T only|
|Bathythermograph||Quantity: number of profiles = 236|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 5|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 1|
|Current meters||Quantity: number of deployments = 17|
|Neutrally buoyant floats||Quantity: number of deployments = 5|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of cores = 4|
|Multi-beam echosounding||Quantity: track kilometres = 9250|