RV Cirolana CIR7/78
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1978-08-17 — 1978-09-13|
|Port of departure||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry-out a groundfish survey of the North Sea.
2. To obtain the length and age distribution of cod, whiting, haddock and plaice by ICES Working Group sampling area.
3. To examine fish stomachs, especially in respect of predation upon other fish.
4. To obtain data on the relation between gutted weight and whole weight in as many species of fish as possible (Bedford).
5. To collect and preserve fish hearts for ageing studies (Greer Walker).
6. To collect water samples and fish fillets for caesium studies (AEP I).
7. To collect blood samples from saithe (Jamieson).
8. To collect mackerel samples (Lockwood).
9. To collect pycnogonids (Fry, Luton).
10. To collect specimens of larval fish for stomach content analysis (Harding).
11. To collect euphausids and edible crabs for genetic studies (Jamieson).
12. To collect muscle samples (Greer Walker).
13. To collect otoliths of blue whiting by depth strata (Pawson).
14. To collect otoliths of Norway pout by area strata (Pawson).
15. To collect fish food (Htun Han).
16. To collect specimens of commercial fish and typical species mixtures for use in
fish identification courses (Blacker).
17. To collect display specimens of thornback ray and sandeel (British Museum).
|Chief scientist||John G Pope (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.56 MB)|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Description: T only|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 41|
|Trace metals||Quantity: number of samples = 56|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 10|
|Eggs and larvae||Quantity: number of samples = 10|
|Zoobenthos||Quantity: number of hauls = 121|
|Pelagic fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 121|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 121|
|Routine standard measurements||Quantity: activity duration in days = 7|