RV Cirolana CIR10/78
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1978-11-09 — 1978-11-28|
|Port of departure||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Falmouth, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To track acoustic floats at 3OO-400 m depth in the vicinity of the Wyville-Thomson Ridge in order to approximate a feature of the migration of the blue whiting.
2. To make a short-term comparison of near-bed velocities as measured by Aanderaa and Plessey current meters in 2000 metres of water.
3. To test the MAFF Salinity Temperature Depth (STD) profiler.
4. To service the JONSIS stations, and recover the current meter network put out in the Tyne-Tees area during CLIONE 13/78.
5. To release a drifting Satellite Buoy with a drogue at 350 metres to the south of the Wyville-Thomson Ridge and thus get an estimate of the long-term drift at that depth.
6. To collect sea-water samples for the Radiobiological Laboratory (AEP I) between the Irish Sea and the Faeroes.
|Chief scientist||John W Ramster (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.31 MB)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Bathythermograph||Quantity: number of profiles = 15|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 1|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 3|
|Current meters||Quantity: number of deployments = 9|
|Surface drifters/drifting buoys||Quantity: number of deployments = 1|
|Neutrally buoyant floats||Quantity: number of deployments = 3|
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 6|