RRS Challenger CH1/79
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1979-01-09 — 1979-01-21|
|Port of departure||Barry, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Barry, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To service SMBA current meter mooring at 57M 9W.
2. To work Anton Dohrn Seamount CTD section. Not attempted.
3. To collect 50 litre water samples at standard positions for radio-caesium analysis.
4. To make a bottom survey North West of Barra Head using side scan sonar (for IOS Bidston). Cancelled due to lack of time.
5. To obtain an epibenthic sled sample of the abyssal macrobenthos at the SMBA Permanent Station, 54 40'N, 12 16'W in 2900m water in order to continue a long-term time series.
6. To obtain samples of deep plankton at the Permanent Station using the small rectangular mid-water trawl.
7. To obtain hauls of the benthic megafauna using an Agassiz trawl in order to continue seasonal studies.
|Chief scientist||Anton Edwards (Scottish Marine Biological Association)|
|Cruise report||(0.27 MB)|
|General||Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 17|
Description: S surface only
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 10|
Description: 50 litre water samples collected for radio-caesium analysis.
|Biology and fisheries|
|Zoobenthos||Quantity: number of hauls = 2|
Description: 1 Agassiz trawl and a single deployment of an epibenthic sledge for taxonomy and population studies.