RRS Challenger CH8/79
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1979-05-29 — 1979-06-11|
|Port of departure||Ardrossan, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Barry, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To obtain further fish samples from the SMBA permanent station in the Rockall Channel.
2. To begin a seasonal survey of the deep-sea demersal fish populations of the upper slope of the Porcupine Sea Bight using the large Granton trawl.
3. To continue seasonal surveys of the deep-sea demersal fish populations of the Porcupine Sea Bight from 500 to 4800m using the IOS semi-balloon trawl.
4. To collect invertebrate samples from all stations for IOS (Wormley).
5. To carry out comparative fishing trials between the SMBA Granton trawl, the IOS semi-balloon trawl and the SMBA single warp box trawl at depths from 500 to 1250m.
6. To collect samples of fish muscle for 137Cs analysis for the MAFF Radiobiological Laboratory at Lowestoft.
|Chief scientist||John D M Gordon (Scottish Marine Biological Association)|
|Cruise report||(0.25 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Radioactivity||Description: Samples of fish muscle collected for radio-caesium analysis.|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Zoobenthos||Quantity: number of hauls = 26|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 26|
Description: survey: taxonomy, energy transfers, biomass determination etc.
|Exploratory fishing||Quantity: number of hauls = 26|