RV Cirolana CIR4/79
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1979-04-11 — 1979-05-01|
|Port of departure||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To continue the examination of the distribution of Strontiurn-90, Caesium-134, Caesium-137, Plutonium-238, Plutonium 239/24O and Americium-243 in British Isles coastal waters.
2. To continue work on determination of the oxidation states of
plutonium in seawater,
3. To determine the suspended load in seawater at stations where
seawater samples are to be analysed for plutonium.
4. To record the gamma count rate, in a selected energy range, from
surface seawater of the Irish Sea and its immediate approaches.
5. To measure the concentrations of Polonium-210 in seawater and in
6. To collect 5 core samples of the seabed of the north Irish Sea using
the Reineck box corer on mud and the Tennant box corer on sand.
7. To measure surface and bottom seawater temperatures at selected stations in the Irish Sea for Nr R J Wood.
|Chief scientist||Douglas F Jefferies (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.41 MB)|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Description: T only|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 22|
Description: 209 S surface only 64 S bottom
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 14|
|Suspended matter||Quantity: number of samples = 59|
Description: suspended solids
|Other contaminant measurements||Quantity: number of samples = 209|
Description: radioactivity Cs-134,Cs-137, 230/241Pu (Cs cts by spectrometry)
|Biology and fisheries|