RV Cirolana CIR6/79
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1979-06-05 — 1979-07-01|
|Port of departure||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To recover the NEADS-6 upper bottom c/m mooring at 52° 30' N 17° 45' W and replace it with a full depth mooring.
2. To recover the seven upper bottom c/m moorings deployed along 41° N during CIROLANA 6/78.
3. To lay a further seven upper bottom c/m moorings at positions between the NEA low level waste dumpsite and the European continental slope.
4. To conduct hydrochemical sampling and TSD calibration in the vicinity of the NEA dumpsite (around 46° N 17° W).
5. To conduct an XBT and/or STD reconnaissance of an eddy over the Biscay Abyssal Plain (location to be determined).
6. To sample bottom living fish and other species in the NEA dumpsite using traps and hooks.
7. To collect deep sea sediment cores using the Boomerang Corer (principally at the NEA dumpsite).
8. To take XBT profiles at hourly intervals on passage throughout the cruise.
9. To collect bulk surface samples for FRL along the northern part of cruise track (Caesium samples).
|Chief scientist||Robert R Dickson (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.43 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Description: T only|
|Bathythermograph||Quantity: number of profiles = 207|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 25|
|Current meters||Quantity: number of deployments = 6|
Description: 340 days
|Oxygen||Quantity: number of stations = 14|
|Phosphate||Quantity: number of stations = 14|
|Nitrate||Quantity: number of stations = 14|
|Nitrite||Quantity: number of stations = 14|
|Ammonia||Quantity: number of stations = 14|
Description: NH3 (redox pot.)
|Silicate||Quantity: number of stations = 14|
|pH||Quantity: number of stations = 14|
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 1|
|Isotopes||Quantity: number of stations = 18|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Zoobenthos||Quantity: number of samples = 3|