RV Corella 10/79
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corella (74CX)|
|Cruise period||1979-08-23 — 1979-09-05|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To study the diurnal behaviour pattern, particularly the vertical migration,
of spawning herring off the Yorkshire coast.
2. To examine visually the sea bed in the spawning area using PK 1
(underwater vehicle provided by Herriot-Watt University) and attempt to
locate deposits of herring eggs.
3. To make trial acoustic surveys of spawning herring using a transducer mounted in a towed body in conjunction with the echo integrators.
4. To observe the reaction of near surface herring shoals to the approach
of both the research vessel and towed body using the mini scanner.
5. To carry out a survey for herring larvae in the western half of the
central North Sea, as part of an international survey of the abundance and
distribution of autumn-spawned herring larvae in the North Sea and adjacent areas.
6. To investigate the effect of different "washing down" techniques on
samples of very small herring larvae obtained with a high-speed sampler.
|Chief scientist||R J Wood (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.34 MB)|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Quantity: number of measurements = 45|
Description: T surface only
|Biology and fisheries|
|Eggs and larvae||Quantity: number of stations = 45|