RRS Discovery D99
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Discovery (74E3)|
|Cruise period||1979-01-16 — 1979-01-27|
|Port of departure||Cape Town, South Africa|
|Port of return||Cape Town, South Africa|
|Objectives||1. The collection of large volume water samples for analyses of selected trace metals and nutrients.
2. The collection of samples of suspended particulate material from large-volume water samples for geochemical studies.
3. The collection of integrated samples of settling particulate material by a particle trap.
4. The collection of bottom sediment samples, by gravity- and box-coring for geochemical studies.
5. The collection of a series of sediment pore water samples by in-situ techniques and by squeezing cored sediments.
6. The collection of near-surface and surface plankton samples for biochemical studies.
7. The collection of samples of the sea-surface microlayer for geochemical and biochemical studies.
|Chief scientist||Stephen E Calvert (Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Wormley Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.38 MB)|
|General||South East Atlantic Ocean (limit 20W)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 5|
|Total - P||Quantity: 5|
|Trace elements||Quantity: 5|
|Other chemical oceanographic measurements||Description: chemical analysis of sediments|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Routine standard measurements||Description: measurements for met.office.(selected ship)|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of cores = 11|
|Multi-beam echosounding||Quantity: track kilometres = 2037|
|Other geological/geophysical measurements||Description: sediment pore waters|