RRS Challenger CH7/80
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1980-04-21 — 1980-05-06|
|Port of departure||Ardrossan, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Ardrossan, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||The objectives of this cruise were:
(1) To service current meter moorings at SMBA stations F, M (deep water) and R (shelf edge). Accomplished.
(2) To service IOS moorings at four stations in the northern Rockall Channel. Accomplished..
(3) To work the Rockall via Anton Dohrn Seamount (Ellett Line) CTD section plus additional CTD sections as possible within the time available. Anton Dohrn (Ellett Line) section was worked but no time was available for any others.
(4) Deploy an IOS experimental long duration (12-month) mooring. Accomplished.
(5) Deploy an IOS Bidston tide gauge on the Anton Dohrn section. Accomplished.
(6) Collect large volume surface water samples for radiocaesium analysis with CTD profiles on the sampling stations. Accomplished with CTD profiles on one of the ten stations.
(7) Search for current meter moorings lost during the previous winter. Moorings located, but could not be recovered.
(8) Deploy a current meter and corrosion monitoring experiment off the west coast of South Uist. Accomplished.
|Chief scientist||David J Ellett (Scottish Marine Biological Association)|
|Cruise report||(0.25 MB)|
|General||Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||N.E. Atlantic/ Rockall Channel/ Scottish Shelf|
|Track charts||(0.34 MB)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 30|
Description: T surface only
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 21|
Description: noisy salinity
|Current meters||Quantity: number of deployments = 16|
Description: 60 days;4x137 days;8x246 days
|Sea level (inc. bot. press., inverted echosounder)||Quantity: number of deployments = 1|
Description: IOS Bidston tide gauge
|Other physical oceanographic measurements|
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 10|
Description: water samples taken for radio-caesium determination.