RRS Discovery D108
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Discovery (74E3)|
|Cruise period||1980-02-18 — 1980-03-03|
|Port of departure||Bridgetown, Barbados|
|Port of return||San Juan, Puerto Rico|
|Objectives||1. Collection of bottom sediment samples by gravity- and box-coring for geochemical studies.
2. Collection of sediment pore water samples by in situ techniques and by squeezing sediment cores.
3. Collection of large volume water samples for analyses of nutrients, trace elements and dissolved organic carbon,
4. Collection of suspended particulate material from large-volume water samples for geochemical studies.
5. Recovery of moored particle trap deployed during Cruise 107.
6. Collection of surface and near-surface plankton for biochemical and trace element studies.
7. Collection of samples of sea surface films for geochemical and biochemical studies.
|Chief scientist||Frederick Culkin (Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Wormley Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.48 MB)|
|General||North West Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Specific||Nares Abyssal Plain (N.W. Atlantic)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 4|
|Oxygen||Quantity: number of stations = 4|
|Phosphate||Quantity: number of stations = 4|
|Total - P||Quantity: number of stations = 4|
|Silicate||Quantity: number of stations = 4|
|Trace elements||Quantity: number of stations = 4|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Neuston||Quantity: number of stations = 4|
|Routine standard measurements||Description: "Selected ship" Observation|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of cores = 12|
Description: chemical analysis of sediments
|Multi-beam echosounding||Quantity: track kilometres = 2778|
|Other geological/geophysical measurements||Description: sediment pore water|