RRS Challenger CH15/81
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1981-10-06 — 1981-10-20|
|Port of departure||Barry, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Ardrossan, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To service SMBA current meter moorings at stations F (57º 30'N, 12º 15'W), M (57º 18'N, 10º 23'W) and R (57ºN, 9ºW).
2. To lay two bottom current meter moorings to the west of Porcupine Bank for joint SMBA/MAFF studies at positions A1-52º 30'N. 14º 46'W. (500m.) and A2-52º 30'NN. 14º 54'W. (750m).
3. To work the Anton Dohrn Seamount (Ellett Line) CTD section and other sections as time permits.
4. Service the toroidal mooring at the fouling studies site west of S. Uist. Position at 57º 18.7'N, 7º 38.7W.
5. To continue seasonal benthos studies in the south and central Rockall Channel at 54º 40'N 12º 16'W., Epibenthic Sledge Haul for one hour. Near station M, priority given to Agassiz trawl but if time allows - an epibenthic sledge haul will be done.
6. To lay two Bidston pressure recorders in the vicinity of mooring M and at the foot of the continental slope.
7. To collect Clarke-Bumpus plankton net samples and CTD profiles across the slope region of S.W Ireland for the University College of Galway.
8. To collect 50 litre water samples for radiocaesium analysis and CTD profiles at ten standard positions between the shelf-edge and the Sound of Mull.
|Chief scientist||Anton Edwards (Scottish Marine Biological Association)|
|Cruise report||(0.35 MB)|
|General||Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 30|
Description: S surface only
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 37|
Description: noisy salinity
|Current meters||Quantity: number of stations = 3|
|Sea level (inc. bot. press., inverted echosounder)||Description: pressure records|
|Radioactivity||Description: water samples for radio-caesium monitoring.|