RV Cirolana CIR4/81
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1981-03-31 — 1981-04-23|
|Port of departure||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To undertake a detailed survey of water column conditions over and around the Finn seamount which lies close to the dumpsite.
2. To retrieve three current meter moorings laid around the seamount in October 1980.
3. To collect water and trap fish at the site and at a position 100 miles to the south of it for AEP 1.
4. To calibrate (a) the Guildline deep-water CTD and (b) the athwartships component of the EM log.
5. To seach the region 46º-50º, 20º-22ºW for eddy features similar to that found at 47ºN 15ºW during the Tourbillon 79 exercise and in particular to map the distribution of dissolved oxygen and silicate.
6. To identify the water mass structure in the vicinity of the MAFF Slope Section current meters (area 38ºN, 10ºW) at least once during the cruise.
7. To confirm the existence of two nephel plumes in the Porcupine Bank region AEP 3.
|Chief scientist||John W Ramster (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.26 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Bathythermograph||Quantity: number of profiles = 51|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: sample litres = 500|
Description: of surface and bottom water.
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 34|
|Current meters||Quantity: number of stations = 3|
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 6|