RV Clione CLI13/81
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Clione (74CN)|
|Cruise period||1981-10-26 — 1981-11-06|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To conduct an 'intensive' monitoring survey of the Bristol Channel disposal area (including the main and bad weather sewage sludge dumping grounds and the Swansea Bay spoil ground) by (i) side scanning sonar for bottom morphology, (ii) grabbing for biological, physical, chemical and bacteriological analysis and (iii) trawling for fish for chemical analysis in the vicinity of Swansea Bay (3-4 days).
2. To conduct a side scanning sonar and grabbing survey off Falmouth Bay with a view to the possible re-siting of the existing sewage sludge dumping ground (1-2 days).
3. To conduct a 'routine' survey of the Plymouth sewage sludge dumping ground by grabbing for sediments for physical, chemical and bateriological analysis (1-2 days).
4. To conduct a short side scanning sonar survey over the Hurst Narrows spoil ground for bottom morphological studies and discernment of dumped spoil (< 1 day).
5. To conduct a survey of the South Falls dumping ground by (i) side scanning sonar (to supplement data obtained on earlier cruises) and (ii) grabbing for sediments for biological, chemical and bacteriological analysis (2 days).
6. To collect fish for chemical analysis from the vicinity of Barrow Deep, outer Thames Estuary by trawling (1 day).
7. To deploy underwater television at dumping sites listed above as conditions permit.
Additional aims (not on programme)
8. To conduct a short side scanning sonar survey over the Dover spoil ground, collecting ground truth sediment sample as necessary.
9. Dumping at Sea Act Enforcement: Sightings of dumping vessels will be noted by My Byrne.
10. A performance assessment will be madeon a Walker Sat Nav 801 navigational system.
|Chief scientist||Michael S Rolfe (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Burnham Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.17 MB)|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
|Specific||Bristol Channel/English Channel/S. North Sea|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 3|
Description: Granton trawl hauls.
|Crustaceans||Quantity: number of stations = 6|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 139|
Description: 0.14 square meter Day grab.
|Long/short range side scan sonar||Quantity: number of stations = 6|
Description: side scans.
|Other geological/geophysical measurements||Quantity: number of stations = 2|
Description: underwater television