1. To carry out an acoustic survey for sprat, as part of an ICES co-ordinated programme, in the Thames Estuary, Southern Bight, and west central North Sea, north to about 55ºN and offshore to 4ºE.
2. To sample any major concentrations with mid-water trawl and plot the area of their distributions more precisely.
3. To calibrate the towed body transducer.
4. To carry out in situ target strength measurements on sprat using the narrow beam transducer.
5. To collect species of fish for the fish identification courses (Mr R W Blacker).
P O Johnson (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)