RRS Challenger CH7B/82
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1982-05-06 — 1982-05-16|
|Port of departure||Ardrossan, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Falmouth, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||The objectives of this cruise were:
(1) To deploy a current meter mooring at stations F (57.5N, 12.25W) and Z (57° 19 min N, 7° 39 min W). Accomplished.
(2) To service MAFF moorings on the Porcupine slope at 52.5N. Recovered but not re-laid.
(3) To work the western half of the Rockall via Anton Dohrn Seamount (Ellett Line) and other CTD sections. Main section from station A (east of the seamount) to M (Rockall) worked, plus a north-south section across the seamount.
(4) To recover and service fouling moorings west of South Uist. Accomplished.
(5) To make Agassiz trawl and benthic sledge hauls to the east of the Anton Dohrn Seamount and at the SMBA permanent benthos station (54.5N). Accomplished.
(6) To work CTD sections in the Sea of the Hebrides. No time available.
|Chief scientist||David J Ellett (Scottish Marine Biological Association)|
|Cruise report||(0.29 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Specific||N. Atlantic Ocean|
|Water bottle stations||Description: surface only|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 24|
Description: noisy salinity
|Current meters||Description: 5 c.m.deployed;6 c.m.recovered;180 days|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Eggs and larvae|
|Zoobenthos||Description: survey:taxonomy,biomass determination,distribution|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Description: attached plants and algae|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Description: intertidal organisms|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Description: borers and foulers|