RRS Challenger CH10/82
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1982-07-15 — 1982-07-26|
|Port of departure||Barry, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Falmouth, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To obtain a series of samples for investigations of bathymetric and insediment distribution and abundance of meiofauna, Foraminifera and chloroplastic pigments, using the SMBA multiple corer.
2. To obtain from the same multiple corer series, sets of samples for clarification of the nature and distribution of flocculent material at the water/sediment interface.
3. To test the component systems of a free vehicle grab respirometer and to obtain data sets and samples from deployments of the complete unit.
4. To recover the Bathysnap put down on Challenger Cruise 8/82, and make further deployments to monitor the presence or absence, quantities and distributions of flocculent material, and to continue the photographic survey of mobile megafauna.
5. To obtain samples of the holothurian Kolga for continuing life history studies, and of the foraminifera Bathysipon for taxonomic purposes.
6. To obtain replicate hauls with the BN1.5 at 2000m for further biomass determinations.
7. To resample an outer shelf station to study changes in the near bottom fauna.
8. To conduct a photographic survey around the shallow transponder site using long tows of the BN1.5 in the photographic mode.
9. To obtain OTSB 14 samples from depths greater than 2000m as part of the long-term study of fish populations at these depths.
10. To obtain sounding for eventual incorporation into an improved bathymetric chart of the Seabight and to define suitable areas for future sampling with towed biological gears.
|Chief scientist||Michael H Thurston (Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Wormley Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.54 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Current meters||Quantity: number of stations = 2|
Description: a few hours at each station.
|Biology and fisheries|
|Zoobenthos||Quantity: number of hauls = 22|
|Birds||Description: 10 minute observations made at roughly 2 hour intervals throughout daylight hours.|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of deployments = 17|
Description: smba multicorer
|Bottom photography||Description: bathysnap.|
|Single-beam echosounding||Quantity: track kilometres = 650|