RRS Challenger CH15/82
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1982-10-16 — 1982-10-30|
|Port of departure||Invergordon, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Ardrossan, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||The objectives of this cruise were:
(1) To service the moorings on the four CONSLEX sections across the Scottish Continental Slope between 57N and 59N. Two moorings on one of the sections serviced (bad weather).
(2) To service SMBA moorings at stations F and M in the Rockall Channel and relocate mooring P onto the southernmost CONSLEX section. Moorings F and P recovered (P not redeployed).
(3) To recover moorings R and Z, service the Tiree Passage mooring and refurbish the fouling studies buoy to the west of South Uist. Not done. R believed lost. Poor weather prevented effective searching at the other stations.
(4) To deploy two moorings for Marine Sciences Laboratory, Menai Bridge. One deployed.
(5) To work CTD profiles along the CONSLEX sections and the Rockall via Anton Dohrn Seamount (Ellett Line) section. Three stations on the Rockall section worked.
(6) To sample chlorophyll across the shelf and slope west of the Outer Hebrides. Not possible as planned second leg of the cruise was cancelled due to industrial action.
(7) To collect large-volume samples for radiocaesium analysis with CTD profiles on stations across the Scottish shelf from the Sound of Mull. Not possible for the ship to visit the section.
|Chief scientist||David J Ellett (Scottish Marine Biological Association)|
|Project||CONSLEX (Continental Slope Experiment)|
|Cruise report||(0.16 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Specific||N. & W. Scotland|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 3|
Description: noisy salinity
|Current meters||Description: 11 deployed; 11 recovered|
|Data held at BODC|
|3 CTD/STD cast|
Vertical spatial coordinates
Salinity of the water column
Temperature of the water column