1. To conduct an 'intensive' monitoring survey of the Liverpool Bay disposal ground (i) sediment grabbing for biological, physical, chemical and bacteriological analysis and (ii) trawling for fish and benthos for chemical analysis.
2. To assess seasonal incidence of disease in fish stocks in Liverpool Bay by trawling (continuing CLIONE 5/82 survey).
3. To conduct an 'intensive' monitoring survey of the Bristol Channel disposal area (including the main and bad weather sewage dumping grounds and the Swansea Bay spoil ground) as in Aim (i) but preceded by side scanning for bottom morphology. Aim finally abandoned due to bad weather.
4. To conduct a sidescan sonar survey off Falmouth in relation to the possible re-siting of the existing sewage sludge dumping ground. Not carried out due to the weather.
5. Sightings of dumping vessels in operation will be recorded (DAS Enforcement).
Michael S Rolfe (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Burnham Laboratory)
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
Liverpool Bay; Bristol Channel; English Channel
Biology and fisheries
Quantity: number of hauls = 15
Quantity: number of hauls = 8 Description: Granton trawl stations were worked.
Geology and geophysics
Quantity: number of stations = 164 Description: worked for bacteriological analysis.
Long/short range side scan sonar
Quantity: activity duration in hours = 24 Description: side-scanning made between the disposal ground and River Mersey entrance.