FRV Scotia 13/82
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (749S)|
|Cruise period||1982-12-02 — 1982-12-19|
|Port of return||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a survey of Norway pout and associated by-catch species in the northwestern North Sea.
2. To investigate differences in by-catch rates in different strata of horizontally divided trawls.
3. To investigate the reaction of Norway pout to trawls by appropriate photographic techniques.
4. To investigate the depth distribution of Norway pout using an echosounder and a midwater trawl to sample echotraces.
5. To investigate the food and feeding rhythm of Norway pout in relation to available plankton.
6. To investigate the light parameters (turbidity, light levels and bioluminescence) on the Norway pout fishing grounds.
7. To carry out trials o a fibre-glass Gulf III plankton sampler.
8. To sample seawater for radio-caesium analysis.
9. To carry out an echosounder search for mackerel concentrations in the area north and northwest of Scotland (additional objective).
|Chief scientist||Roger S Bailey (Department of Agriculture and Fisheries for Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.12 MB)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||Northwestern North Sea and north of Scotland|
|Optics (eg underwater light levels)||Description: light readings taken using a light meter after some of the trawl hauls.|
|Radioactivity||Description: water sample for radio-caesium analysis.|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of stations = 18|
Description: sampled using the three-level trawl BT 151a.
|Acoustic reflection on marine organisms.||Description: echosounder recordings.|
|Gear research||Quantity: number of hauls = 18|
|Exploratory fishing||Quantity: number of hauls = 18|