RV Cirolana CIR5/83
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1983-04-22 — 1983-05-12|
|Port of departure||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To collect water samples to be analysed for Technetium-99, Caesium-137, Neptunium-237, Plutonium-238, Plutonium-239/240 and Americium-241. Preliminary chemical treatment of the samples wil be made on board. The recording Caesium-137 monitor will be operated continuously throughout the cruise.
2. To sample plankton off Dounreay, Windscale and Cap de la Hague for the determination of radionuclide concentration factors.
3. To work 44 gravity core stations in the northeast Irish Sea to obtain an estimate of the inventories of Plutonium-239/240 and Americium-241. To achieve this objective, long cores (~1m) will be required at most stations.
4. To determine the feasibility of investigating the stability of the muddy sediments off Windscale using recording piezometers.
5. To obtain cores from hard sand and shell laminated sediments close to the outfalll using the vibrocorer. Both aims 4 and 5 will require the vessel to be three-point anchored.
6. To obtain about 100 Reineck box cores from two transects close to the Windscale outfall. These will be examined on board to determine the distributions of benthic macrofauna (sieving) and the extent of biological reworking (X-radiography).
All the objectives set out in the cruise programme were attempted. All the major objectives of the cruise were achieved.
|Chief scientist||Dennis S Woodhead (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.25 MB)|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
Bay of Biscay
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||North Sea/Irish Sea/E. Channel|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 67|
Description: water samples to be analysed for Water samples obtained from 17 stations for Technetium-99, Neptunium-237, Plutonium-238, Plutonium-239/240 and Americium-241 analyses and at 50 stations for Caesium-137 analysis.
|Other physical oceanographic measurements||Quantity: number of measurements = 8|
Description: measure of water density and pressure
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 16|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 16|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Dredge||Quantity: number of deployments = 1|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of cores = 156|
|Bottom photography||Quantity: number of deployments = 7|
Description: underwater photography