RRS Frederick Russell FR7/83
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Frederick Russell (74GG)|
|Cruise period||1983-04-22 — 1983-05-13|
|Port of departure||Plymouth, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Plymouth, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To obtain observational data - colour video tapes, black and white and colour photographs - on the sediments and carbonate producing animals using the Mark III Television and Camera Sledge from locations of interest not investigated during the RRS Challenger Cruise 9/81.
2. To obtain further dredge samples from the edge of the continental shelf and upper continental slope to the west and north of Scotland from locations not previously sampled.
3. To investigate the feasibility of using the Mark III Television and Camera Sledge for investigations into the bioturbation of sediments in the eastern Irish Sea.
4. To recover the IOS Taunton current meter mooring situated west of the Scillies and to obtain CTD and XBT profiles from the vicinity of the mooring.
5. To investigate the occurrence of deep-water corals in the Inner Hebrides using side-scan sonar.
6. To undertake sea trials of the IOS side-scan sonar systems and to test the upwards looking mode at different speeds and directions.
7. To obtain further noise level measurements for the RRS Frederick Russell to compare with those obtained in December 1981.
8. To obtain additional side-scan sonar data from the areas of strong tidal currents in the central English Channel.
|Chief scientist||John B Wilson (Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Wormley Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.60 MB)|
Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||English Channel/ Irish Sea/ N. & W. Scotland|
|Bathythermograph||Quantity: number of profiles = 2|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 2|
Description: surface only
|Current meters||Quantity: number of recoveries = 8|
Description: No. of c.ms recovered;deployed "Challenger" Cr.4/83;56 days
|Geology and geophysics|
|Dredge||Quantity: number of deployments = 19|
|Grab||Quantity: number of deployments = 20|
|Bottom photography||Quantity: number of images = 3000|
Description: also 5 video
|Multi-beam echosounding||Quantity: track kilometres = 1350|
|Long/short range side scan sonar||Quantity: track kilometres = 1350|