1. To obtain observational data - colour video tapes, black and white and colour photographs - on the sediments and carbonate producing animals using the Mark III Television and Camera Sledge from locations of interest not investigated during the RRS Challenger Cruise 9/81.
2. To obtain further dredge samples from the edge of the continental shelf and upper continental slope to the west and north of Scotland from locations not previously sampled.
3. To investigate the feasibility of using the Mark III Television and Camera Sledge for investigations into the bioturbation of sediments in the eastern Irish Sea.
4. To recover the IOS Taunton current meter mooring situated west of the Scillies and to obtain CTD and XBT profiles from the vicinity of the mooring.
5. To investigate the occurrence of deep-water corals in the Inner Hebrides using side-scan sonar.
6. To undertake sea trials of the IOS side-scan sonar systems and to test the upwards looking mode at different speeds and directions.
7. To obtain further noise level measurements for the RRS Frederick Russell to compare with those obtained in December 1981.
8. To obtain additional side-scan sonar data from the areas of strong tidal currents in the central English Channel.
John B Wilson (Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Wormley Laboratory)
North Sea Norwegian Sea Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland Irish Sea and St. George's Channel Celtic Sea North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
English Channel/ Irish Sea/ N. & W. Scotland
Quantity: number of profiles = 2
Water bottle stations
Quantity: number of stations = 2 Description: surface only
Quantity: number of recoveries = 8 Description: No. of c.ms recovered;deployed "Challenger" Cr.4/83;56 days
Geology and geophysics
Quantity: number of deployments = 19
Quantity: number of deployments = 20
Quantity: number of images = 3000 Description: also 5 video