FRV Scotia 7/83
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (749S)|
|Cruise period||1983-07-07 — 1983-07-25|
|Port of departure||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out an echointegration and mid-water trawling survey of herring in the Orkney-Shetland area and adjacent areas as part of an ICES-coordinated survey.
2. To undertake in situ measurements of herring target stength using a dual-beam transducer.
3. To collect data on individual weights of herring for establishing a length/weight relationship.
4. To collect herring ovaries for fecundity studies.
5. To collect herring pyloric caeca for parasitological investigations.
6. To collect mackerel stomachs for scientists involved in the ICES Fish Stomach project.
7. To collect water samples for radio-caesium monitoring.
8. Additional objective - to collect herring tissue samples in liquid nitrogen for electrophoretic examination.
|Chief scientist||Roger S Bailey (Department of Agriculture and Fisheries for Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Project||ICES Herring Survey|
|Cruise report||(0.13 MB)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||Northwestern North Sea, Orkney and Shetland|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 51|
Description: Surface salinity only
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)||Quantity: number of samples = 71|
Description: Also chart recordings of fluorescence at 3 m.
|Pelagic fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 30|
Description: biomass determination
|Acoustic reflection on marine organisms.||Quantity: track kilometres = 2222.4|