FRV Scotia 12/83
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (749S)|
|Cruise period||1983-11-09 — 1983-11-28|
|Port of departure||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a dual frequency (39kHz and 120 kHz) echointegration and midwater trawling survey of herring and mackerel in the area to the north of Scotland and evaluate the use of the high frequency sounder for discriminating between herring and mackerel shoals.
2. To collect herring and mackerel pyloric caeca for parasitological investigations related to recruitment studies.
3. To collect data on individual weights of herring and certain other species for establishing length/weight relationships.
4. To collect herring ovaries for fecundity studies.
5. To collect water samples for radio-caesium monitoring.
6. Additional objectives were: (a) To collect live specimens of whiting and haddock for Laboratory studies; (b) To carry out tagging of any spurdog caught in trawls and of mackerel caught on handlines.
|Chief scientist||Mike R Heath (Department of Agriculture and Fisheries for Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.18 MB)|
Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||Northwest of Scotland, west of Outer Hebrides, North Minch, Fair Isle Channel, Shetland, northwestern North Sea|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Quantity: track kilometres = 3704|
|Radioactivity||Description: water samples for radio-caesium analysis.|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Pelagic fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 22|
Description: survey: distribution, biomass determination, pathology
|Acoustic reflection on marine organisms.||Quantity: track kilometres = 3704|