RRS Challenger CH5/84
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1984-08-11 — 1984-08-28|
|Port of departure||Falmouth, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Dunstaffnage, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To recover a Bathysnap at 2000m deployed on cruise 519.
2. To grapple for a Bathysnap deployed on cruise 517 (Challenger 6/83) and a sediment trap array deployed on cruise 519 (Frederick Russell 6/84), both of which subsequently failed to release.
3. To attempt to locate, and possibly grapple for, a Bidston pressure recorder which had also failed to release.
4. To obtain a series of samples with the SMBA multiple corer at depths ranging from 500m to 2700m.
5. To make two measurements of sediment community oxygen consumption using the suspended corer technique..
6. To obtain a small number of epibenthic sledge samples and particuarly one at 1200m to sample the Pheronema community and to collect living Dorhyncus.
7. To sample the upper part of the water column to collect post-larval Dorhyncus.
8. To investigate the necrophage community at the proposed CYAPORC working sites at approximately 50º 22'N, 12º 43'W and 50º 45'N, 11º 20'W using a baited Bathysnap, amphipod trap and camera system.
9. To carry out preliminary experiments on the use of homing pigeons to transport sediment samples rapidly to Cardiff for bacteriological studies.
10. To obtain a series of long photosledge transects from about 700m to 1500m to investigate the detailed distribution of the megafauna.
|Chief scientist||Anthony L Rice (Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Wormley Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.82 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||N.E. Atlantic/ Porcupine Bight|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Benthic bacteria/micro-organisms||Quantity: number of cores = 19|
Description: measurements on mud cores
|Zoobenthos||Quantity: number of stations = 6|
Description: identification,description of communities
|Birds||Quantity: number of observations = 120|
Description: ten minute observations made on an opportunistic basis.
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Quantity: number of experiments = 2|
Description: Benthic Respirometry
|Geology and geophysics|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of cores = 19|
|Bottom photography||Quantity: number of deployments = 6|
Description: more than 5000 photos using Bathysnap.