1. To carry out a baseline hydrocarbon survey in areas of the North Sea licensed for oil exploration, and adjacent areas proposed for licensing in the future.
2. To collect samples of water and sediment from the vicinity of the Humber, Tees and Tyne estuaries for hydrocarbon and exploratory GC-MS analysis.
3. To collect samples of sea water for trace metals analysis from both estuarine and offshore areas.
4. To attempt recovery of a TTN rig lost during CLIONE 4/84 off the island of Texel. This was unsuccessful.
5. To collect sediment samples from 10 stations in the southern part of the working area. These were requested by Dr Moore of Heriot-Watt University who is investigating the distribution of meiofauna.
Robin John Law (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Burnham Laboratory)
NE Coast/Central North Sea
Water bottle stations
Quantity: number of stations = 33 Description: S only
Quantity: number of samples = 35 Description: samples collected by means of both azlon surface samplers operated with a hand line, and teflon coated Go-Flo bottles for trace metals analysis.
Quantity: number of samples = 76
Biology and fisheries
Quantity: number of samples = 10 Description: sediment samples to determine distribution of meiofauna.