1. To participate in the ICES coordinated herring larval surveys of region IVB during two of the standard sampling perionds 1-15 October and 16-31 October.
2. To locate, track and sample a patch of herring larvae in an attempt to measure drift and mortality.
3. To sample potential food organisms in a study of herring larvae diet.
4. To collect samples of herring larvae for analysis of growth increments on the sagittal otolith.
5. To test the new multi-layer plankton sampler.
John H Nichols (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)
English Channel North Sea Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
Western Central North Sea
Quantity: number of stations = 214 Description: shallow water CTD package
Surface drifters/drifting buoys
Quantity: number of deployments = 1 Description: argos buoy