RRS Discovery D148
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Discovery (74E3)|
|Cruise period||1984-05-21 — 1984-06-11|
|Port of departure||Falmouth, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Funchal, Portugal|
|Objectives||1. To sample repeatedly at a depth >3000m in order to provide a statistical basis for future deep-sea sampling programmes.
2. To fish a transect of oblique midwater nets between 44N and 36N to study the latitudinal succession of different species and the effects of different water masses upon these.
3. To fish a transect of otter trawls between 48N and 35N to study latitudinal differences in benthic fish populations.
4. To catch midwater and benthic animals for a variety of biochemical and experimental observations.
5. To test a new near-bottom echo sounder fitted to the midwater trawls.
6. To test a new linear release gear for midwater trawls.
|Chief scientist||Howard S J Roe (Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Wormley Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.64 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Specific||Azores - Biscay Rise|
|Bathythermograph||Quantity: number of profiles = 45|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 6|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of hauls = 61|
|Nekton||Quantity: number of hauls = 122|
|Pelagic fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 61|
Description: survey:taxonomy,distribution,biomass determination
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Description: bioluminescence|
|Routine standard measurements|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Multi-beam echosounding||Quantity: track kilometres = 1480|